Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mystery of the Universe


Every now and then, I notice something about society for which I'm not sure there is a definitive explanation. I came across one the other day.

Why do elderly women like to do all their shopping at Walgreens? Is it the small, manageable shopping carts that are the perfect size to hold one's cane? The in-house pharmacy? Are their ads exceptionally eyecatching to one whose eyesight might be failing? Maybe it's because there is a Walgreens on every corner, so for those who can no longer drive at night, it's the only place they can walk to that accepts Medicare and sells the National Enquirer.

Whatever the reason, I don't believe I have ever been in a Walgreen's without seeing an 87-year-old woman rifling through that week's "circular," bent over her cart handle because her cane is in the basket. And I'm sure one day I will be that woman, and then I will have my answer.

2 comments:

  1. My grandma is one of those ladies! She can be in Walgreens for HOURS, and once I went there with her, and actually lost her!! How do you lose someone in Walgreens?? I could see her reflection in the store mirrors mounted on the ceiling, but I couldn't actually pin down which aisle she was in, and Erin was screaming and writhing around in the cart.

    This conversation actually happened a few weeks ago:
    Becky: Hi Gran, do you still want to go grocery shopping this afternoon?
    Gran: I don't think I need to anymore. I went to Walgreens today and I got everything I needed.
    Becky: (to herself) At Walgreens? How is that possible?

    A mystery indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think this when I'm in Walgreens. It is so true. They love those little carts and their sale paper. Sometimes, I need to put Liam in one of those carts so he doesn't tear everything off the shelves and I'm always worried one of the old ladies is going to tell me I'm too young to use the carts.

    ReplyDelete