Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Election Day

When I was a kid, my parents would sometimes stop by their polling place with me in tow. I always thought it was kind of fun to go into the little booth and see them cast their vote. Since I'm home with Eamon, I have the luxury of being able to bring him with me when I vote in the hopes that it will stick in his head that he should do his civic duty.

So this morning, I loaded him into the stroller and we entered the very quiet park district building, where we were greeted by four eager volunteers who all, judging by their reaction when they saw us, recognized Eamon from last November's election.

We were greeted as if we were old friends who'd moved out of town, each election worker taking turns with their comments, like, "Look how big he's gotten!" and "Hi cutie! How old is he now?" I prompted Eamon to smile, which he did, and I was admittedly proud that they remembered him from last fall.

After we walked out, I wondered, am I either a) one of the only people in my precinct who brings their kid with them to vote or b) one of the only people who votes? I hope to God it's the former.

1 comment:

  1. I bring the kids too. I remember going with my mom and always thought it was so exciting. Maeve loves getting the "I voted" sticker. Maybe we are the only ones who vote in our 'hood...or the only ones under 60.

    ReplyDelete