Tuesday, April 12, 2011

...Where the Air is Sweet


I'm trying to comply with the "no TV for kids under 2" policy the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends. Sometimes, though, I am checking something online and Eamon wants to sit on my lap. I resisted any and all screen time at first, but after awhile I thought, eh, what's the big deal? I met a mom recently who plops her 22-month-old down in front of entire Pixar movies. I'm practically home schooling my son compared to her.

Anyway, my first instinct was to check Sesame Street's Web site, and sure enough they have 1-3 minute videos of Elmo, Ernie and Bert, and the rest that are just long enough to not make me feel guilty but enough to appease a 17-month-old. There are also some classic sketches on there, such as Ernie and Bert's "banana in my ear" scene, that I remember finding funny as a kid just for the exasperated look on Bert's face.

And of course, I have noticed a few things:

1) For a place of learning, Sesame Street's characters sometimes have a problem with their pronouns. Cookie Monster says "me" instead of "I," and Elmo refers to himself in the third person.

2) Oscar the Grouch is one of the few characters who doesn't have a nose. This explains so much.

3) If I try too hard, I can't understand what Elmo is saying. It reminds me of my Philosophy 050 professor, Dr. Vande Velde. He was Belgian, and he often put the accent on the wrong syllable and messed up his vowels. He pronounced consequently as con-SEE-kwent-lee. All semester I struggled not to correct it in my head during his lectures. I had to just go with it or I'd lose my train of thought.

Other than these minor gripes, I do love that Sesame Street is still around. And I'm looking forward to Eamon turning two so I can introduce him to a full episode.

1 comment:

  1. Am I the mom that lets the 22-month old watch entire Pixar movies? Had to laugh at that. Show him Mahna-mahna. It should be on Sesame street. Definitely on You Tube. Maeve loved it at that age. Funny enough Liam doesn't pay attention to the t.v. as much as Maeve.

    ReplyDelete