Saturday, January 15, 2011

Solo

This is the weekend of Brian's aforementioned combination work/ski trip to Utah, so Eamon and I have been a dynamic duo since Thursday afternoon. It's now Saturday night, and it's really been pretty easy. Yesterday we went to our friends' house for dinner and some play time for the kids and adult conversation for the moms (their husband/dad is on the same trip with Brian).
Tonight the five of us went to dinner at a neighborhood restaurant and practiced our 'out in public skills' - you know, made sure we knew how to ask for a table and communicate with wait staff. It was nice to get out of the house, and no one broke or spilled anything, so the night was a success. Other than those two outings, Eamon and I have pretty much been doing what we do every weekday: playing, eating, cleaning up, napping, and so on.

I'm sure if Brian traveled regularly for work, this would get old. And if his trip had been longer than three and a half days, I might be worn down. If we had more than one kid, it might also be hard. The fact that Eamon is a marvelously easygoing baby (almost toddler) really helps, too. So, no complaints here.

Having written all that, I really don't know how single parents do it. If I had to do all this every day with no end in sight aside from the occasional babysitter or using some sort of day care (so I could go to work to earn money to pay for said childcare), I would be exhausted. I admire anyone who can pull this off on a regular basis all on their own and still raise a good person, much less a successful one, but I know there are a lot of them out there.

Note: This entry was inspired by my viewing of the Ben Affleck movie "The Town," another Ben Affleck vehicle featuring a trashy, irresponsible single mom (see "Gone Baby Gone"). Then again it's also another Ben Affleck-directed crime drama set in a blue collar Boston neighborhood. Maybe Mr. Affleck should consider branching out a bit and film a movie on, say, Staten Island.

1 comment:

  1. I have had that same thought about single parents many a time. I can't imagine how tough that must be...and the fact that there's most likely no relief on the horizon on a daily basis. Yikes!

    Hope Bri had fun!

    ReplyDelete