Saturday, January 29, 2011

Oscar Race, Part 2


I'm officially halfway there. I've seen five of the ten best picture Oscar nominees. Tonight Brian and I saw "The Fighter," the first movie we've seen together in the theater since before Eamon was born. It was nice to get out with him and see a movie we both liked. We went a little nuts and got popcorn and a big soda - look out! - and now I think we both are a little nauseous as a result, though neither of us has acknowledged it out loud.

Anyway, the movie was good. The first 3/4 of it are a little tough to watch. Christian Bale is excellent as Dicky Ecklund, crack addict and former boxing champ. He gave a very Daniel Day-Lewis-ish performance, extremely believable, borderline disturbing, and a far cry from his raspy voiced turn as Batman (which I still don't understand - was he going for Clint Eastwood there?). What I really appreciated was the casting job they did with Micky Ward's scrappy sisters, whose ratted bangs and giant perms brought me back to 10th grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment