Monday, October 5, 2009

Observations on the Last Days of Pregnancy

  1. I'm not sure if this counts as "nesting," but I can't stop cooking. I have about $300 or more worth of dinners in our freezer, which normally doesn't contain much more than a frozen pizza and some Dairy Queen ice cream. And maybe a chicken breast or two. Now it's full of containers of various entrees made at one of those "Dinner by Design" places, as well as my own chili, lentil soup (which is way better than it sounds), chocolate chip cookie dough, and soon, lasagna. I have little interest in cleaning, though I did that on Friday as well as I could given my carpal tunnel hands and sausage-like fingers. It's really the cooking that I can't stop doing, it's as if I won't be allowed in the kitchen once we're home with the baby.
  2. People keep telling me to stay off my feet this week, and take naps. If I sit or lie down, the circulation in my hands acts up and my hands fall asleep. I also get this 'scrunched up' feeling like the baby doesn't have enough room (evident when his butt gets shoved into my rib cage). If I stand and walk around, my bladder seems to get pinched by the weight of his head and my feet may swell up. If I nap during the day, I have even more difficulty sleeping at night. I cannot win.
  3. I've decided I need to read one more novel before I am soon so incoherent from a lack of sleep that I can't even read the newspaper. So far I'm pretty into the new Dave Eggers book (which is more or less a nonfiction account, so not a true novel but reads like one) but that damn baby on the cover of the "Week by Week: Your Baby's First Year" book is staring at me with his wide eyes and round face, reminding me I've only read about week one.
  4. I do not understand how people can name their children when they are no more than a few cells in utero. We will likely not decide on a name for this baby until we actually meet him face to face. Somehow I have a feeling a name will pop into our heads that just seems right. (And it won't be Obi Wan, Pee Wee, Kobe or any of the others suggested by our nephews.)

No comments:

Post a Comment