Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Me, nervous? Nah...

Now that I'm eight days past my due date, I'm finally going to be induced tonight. Most likely I'll deliver sometime tomorrow (God, please, no 24-hour labor + emergency c-section). I was just asked by a neighbor if I'm nervous. I thought back to the last time I remember being really, truly, "I don't want to do this" nervous -- the first time I did a triathlon and the water in Lake Michigan had been deemed risky for swimming. After a series of bad rainstorms, the locks in the Chicago River had reversed its flow, sending waste into Lake Michigan. "Swim at your Own Risk!" signs were posted all over the race expo the day before, and a park district employee we ran into on the lakefront kindly told us he'd seen some "personal items" floating in Monroe Harbor, where we were scheduled to swim the next day.

I remember saying to Brian as we were trying to go to sleep that night, "I really don't want to do this. What if we get sick?" He was like, "Eh, we'll be fine." And dozed off. I did the race, didn't get sick, but will never forget how sick I felt that night just thinking about not only exposure to E-coli, but the idea of swimming, biking and running for 2 hours straight. (I went on to do two more triathlons since and will try for more in the future.)

I was way more nervous that night than I am today, even after hearing and reading countless labor stories over the last month. I say bring on the pain, give me an epidural and let's get this baby out into the world where he belongs. We are more than ready for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment