Friday, October 16, 2009

Let the wild rumpus start!

I've been catching a lot of advertising for the live-action version of one of my favorite children's books, "Where the Wild Things Are." If I weren't so big and uncomfortable, I would go see this movie in the theater. I've read a few favorable reviews, some of which indicate it's more of a movie for adults who loved the book (like me) than it is for kids. I was surprised to find out that my husband had never read the book, nor even heard of it.

I'm now on a mission to make sure "the boy" (as we, for some reason, will call him until we meet him) is exposed to all of what I consider the great kids' books of my childhood. So I went to the bookstore this morning with a gift card one of Brian's coworkers had given us as part of a baby gift and redeemed it for a copy of "WTWTA" and another favorite, "The Giving Tree" by Shel Silverstein. I think it was a good use of the gift card, and I'm looking forward to adding to the collection.

Eventually, when he's reading on his own, I'll introduce him to a solid list like this one I found online, posted, coincidentally, by the op-ed columnist at The New York Times who was the guest on Oprah the day I was in her studio audience: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/opinion/05kristof.html

Side note: I just saw this ad for a homemade Halloween costume contest online and am very concerned for the safety of this baby -- is it me, or is she trapped in a box?

3 comments:

  1. I love "The Giving Tree" and "A Light in the Attic." Both classics.

    Also, is there any chance you could borrow this costume idea for your son? He won't be as big as the baby in this photo, but maybe you could get one of the "preemie" boxes and do that instead? I LOVE this costume. Why didn't I think of it? Is there any way I could shove Megan into a box and make this work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that depends. How does Megan feel about cellophane?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how many times did I read "The Giving Tree"? And all those Dr. Seuss books. I really loved the collection with Yertle the Turtle in it; I was fascinated by all the feathers. I think I must start a list... but first, the New Nephew Woobie.

    ReplyDelete