Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stop stealing my playlist


A few years back, I got an iPod shuffle to give myself a little music during my daily (ahem) runs. As a teenager, I was a huge mix tape maker, always trying to come up with that perfect list of songs that would begin and end on the perfect notes. I still make mix CDs now and then, and I take pride in the playlists I create. Sometimes I think it's almost too easy now with iTunes to track down a single and purchase it with the click of the mouse. But I digress...

I thought I was so clever in creating my first running playlist, putting "Goodbye Girl" by Squeeze on it. A month later, an Under Armour commercial (featuring a girl going out for a run with headphones on) appeared on TV. Then I discovered the Kanye West song "Touch the Sky," whose lyrics always help me go a little faster. Soon I heard that played on some commercial for the NCAA or some other athletic organization. Recently I saw a cute little song I'd added to the list, "She Moves in Her Own Way" by The Kooks, now serves as the background for a Crystal Light workout drink. Come on now...It was bad enough when the Who sold every one of their songs to promote anything anyone would pay them for, then Iggy Pop's "Lust for Life" became associated with cruise ships. All my favorite songs become commercials.

Write a jingle, people.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN, sister (seriously!). I hardly ever buy singles, but I bought that Kooks tune after hearing it on the radio (so Herman's Hermits it is!)and I was incensed to hear it on the Crystal Light ad. People SHOULD be writing their own jingles. Like the Dundler-Mifflin crew on The Office ("We're the people person's paper people!").

    ReplyDelete