Thursday, September 10, 2009

What to Expect After Talking to Friends and Family About Having a Baby

Like most expectant parents, we've been reading the self-proclaimed "America's pregnancy bible!!", What to Expect When You're Expecting. I've taken most of what's in the book with a grain of salt, because it does seem a little preachy and a bit "alarmist," as one friend described it. They should change the title to What to Fear When You're Expecting.

I'm on the final section, titled, "Labor and Delivery." It should just be titled, "PAIN." I've decided that nothing good can come from my reading this section about cramping, tearing and something known as a "bloody show" that I assume is NOT "Fawlty Towers" or some other British television program. Why the phrase "bloody show?" Are a pack of med students going to parade through the room to see how much I'm bleeding? Is there so much bleeding that it's like a circus performance gone awry?

The book also talks about having a birth plan, which I know of only through books. I haven't asked around yet, but I don't personally know of anyone who wrote out what they wanted or expected to happen during labor and delivery. It's my understanding that what's gonna happen is gonna happen, you can't outline it and distribute copies of it among the nursing staff and expect it to happen. If I were an L&D nurse, I would crinkle that piece of paper into a tiny ball and throw it in the recycle bin.

I'll finish the book, but I won't enjoy it. I think I'd rather be caught off guard by the degree of pain, request an epidural and see how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. I just laughed at this. "Bloody show!" Gross!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And neither did I, Bub. I think my problem was having the exact same plaid skirt at SA as Mary Katherine Gallagher is sporting in this photo. You got lucky with the blue and gray plaid - no yellow blouses (ICK!).

    MKM

    ReplyDelete