Friday, August 7, 2009

John Hughes

A few months ago I posted a time-sucking Facebook poll listing "5 Movies I Could Watch Over and Over." I didn't think about it at the time, but two of the five were written and directed by John Hughes ("Planes, Trains & Automobiles" and "Uncle Buck"). After reading some articles about him in this morning's Tribune, I also learned he wrote the screenplays for "Mr. Mom" and "Vacation" - two movies I will never pass up if I catch them on cable. Hughes was only 59 when he died yesterday, and from what I've read he started to shy away from the business after writing "Curly Sue" in 1992 (can't say that I blame him, though I didn't see the movie) and it flopped. He spent the last part of his life living on a farm in Harvard, Ill., about 30 miles from where I live now (actually the last stop on my commuter train line).

Fortunately, he'll be remembered more for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and "The Breakfast Club" and all the other movies that spoke to and represented teenagers in the '80s so well. His John Candy and Chevy Chase comedies are absolutely timeless. It's interesting that he quit when he did, maybe realizing he'd already peaked (or, from what I've read, just tired of the Holly wood machine). Regardless, I'm grateful for his movies and their place in my life; I don't know of a director or screenwriter today who would offer so much to young audiences and people who appreciate good comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment