Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sympathy for the Devil



I just finished reading Keith Richards' autobiography, Life. All my life, I'd heard various urban legends about this guy -- the whole "having my blood replaced" thing, all the drugs he's done, even the more recent falling out of a tree. So I was anxious to read this book. And who knew? Most of the stories are more or less true. Okay, he didn't actually have all of his blood replaced, but it might not have been a bad idea at the time were it medically possible. And he actually did snort his dad's ashes. I mean, of course, it's an autobiography, so should be taken with a grain of salt, but he doesn't exactly paint a totally rosy picture of himself.

Oddly enough, after reading his life story, I not only find him to be a pretty likable guy ("I trust you until you do something to make me not trust you.") who truly loves what he does and has a great passion for many types of music. He comes across as very down-to-earth, even including his recipe for bangers and mash in the last chapter, but I also think he is not human. The man almost died, like, 87 times. And not from drug overdoses. From multiple car accidents, falling from a ladder in his Connecticut library, almost being electrocuted. The list goes on. And mark my words, he's nearly 70, but I think he'll be around for another 25, easily. And in the end, he will probably die of natural causes.


No comments:

Post a Comment