Monday, December 20, 2010

The Race Is On


I love this time of year. Yes, Christmas is great and the snow is still sort of a novelty and I'm not yet sick of having to wear gloves. But the best part is the list on my refrigerator every year of the movies I want to see now that the Oscar race is on. Some of the movies have been in theaters for months, some are already on DVD, but with a 13-month-old at home, it's tough to get to a movie these days. I saw Black Swan the other night with a friend, and it was the first movie I'd seen since Eamon was born. Last year on Oscar night, I had only seen one of the nominated movies. Usually I see them all by January 30. This year will be different.

So this year's list includes:
The Kids Are Alright - I usually avoid movies named after songs, but in this case I love the song and the movie got great reviews. So this is an exception to my rule.

True Grit - I have not seen the original, but I love pretty much every Coen Brothers movie ever made, so I'm excited to see it. And I read that it is based on the book, not a "remake" of the John Wayne film (for which he won his only Oscar, I might add).

The Social Network - Michael Cera -- I mean -- Jesse Eisenberg is often just playing himself, but I've heard so many positive things about this, and I love Aaron Sorkin's writing, that I have to see it.

The King's Speech - I really like Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter, and I always like to see at least one movie a year that I feel comfortable recommending to my in-laws.

The Fighter - Marky Mark has come a long way since "Good Vibrations." I'm looking forward to seeing this.

No comments:

Post a Comment