Tuesday, September 27, 2011

You, Sir, Are No Don Draper

I don't watch a lot of network TV, except for a couple of comedies I refuse to miss ("30 Rock" and "Modern Family"). Last night, we ended up watching a new set-in-the-60s show, "The Playboy Club." It's one of two network shows debuting this season -- "Pan Am" being the second -- piggybacking on the popularity of AMC's "Mad Men," albeit about four seasons too late. Both of these new shows pale in comparison to the genius (in my humble opinion) of "Mad Men," in their recreation of that era, the writing, the costumes, basically everything. Okay, so I wasn't even planned for in the 1960s to know about the costumes and sets, but from what I have read about "Mad Men" producer Matthew Weiner's obsessive attention to detail on his show, and what I've seen on the networks, they just can't compete. As one critic pointed out, no one is even smoking on these shows.

Scripts and sets aside, I also have a beef with one "Playboy Club" actor in particular. I'd never seen Eddie Cibrian in anything except the pages of US Weekly, where he became moderately famous for his affair and subsequent marriage to LeeAnn Rhimes. I think he mostly did soap operas and Lifetime movies before this show. So congrats to him for landing a prime time acting job. Unfortunately, I think he sincerely believes he's Jon Hamm. Or rather, Jon Hamm as Don Draper.

I know. Blasphemy.

But watch this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sz4egzKDEk4

Wearing a grey suit, clutching an Old Fashioned and having half a can of pomade in your hair does not make you as slick as Don Draper. Just like setting a show in the Kennedy era and giving your actresses bouffants does not make the show an award winning drama.

In an effort to make up for mentioning LeeAnn Rhimes in this post, here is a photo of Jon Hamm. As Don Draper. Cheers!


1 comment:

  1. We stumbled upon two minutes of the show the other night, and I thought the same thing! Thanks for the "Hamm as Draper" pic (WHEW!).

    ReplyDelete